Monday, July 23, 2012

Obeying the Word

For several weeks, I have had in mind that I wanted to start a blog. I keep a journal-not really up-to-date though, but I am hoping that I will be better at maintaining this digital footprint. Many things have happened recently which have now pushed starting a blog to the forefront... I have attended 2 funerals in the past week, one of which was my Nannie. She was 91 years old and lived a wonderful life. I imagined my funeral as I looked around at the people attending. I want people at my funeral to know that I loved them, how I lived my life for God's purpose and that there would never be any question about what I valued. I realize that these things will be primarily known by WATCHING how I lived my life, not READING about how I lived my life. However, I want to use this forum as a small piece of my legacy-a place where you can catch a glimpse of who I am and a place where I can document the journey of this legacy that I am leaving. Secondly, as I have been surfing the Internet and questioning if I should start blogging,I ran across some startling sites. Now, I'm a googler. So anytime I want to find something, don't know what it is or just curious and exploring, I'm going to google it. I was searching for blogs that had something to do with faith and came across a website of moms. This website had top 25 blogs about faith and over half were blogs about pagans, witches, magic, wiccans, etc. WHAT?????? I expected to find mostly Christian faith based blogs, with some other religions represented, but never imagined this. I even checked to make sure I googled the right thing-apparently I did. This was shocking and disturbing to me-I want people to know the Jesus that I know. To know that God is our comforter and source of strength. To live this earthly life by faith, the faith that comes by hearing the word of God. To know that He has equipped and called us for His purpose. Whether this blog is ever read by anybody other than me, I know that I am called to write this because of the following verse:
Attention, Israel! God, our God! God the one and only! Love God, your God, with your whole heart: love him with all that's in you, love him with all you've got! Write these commandments that I've given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you and then get them inside your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder; inscribe them on the DOORPOSTS of your homes and on your city gates. Deuteronomy 6:4-9
My goal is to build my faith and those around me by inscribing on the doorposts of my life. Let this serve as a reminder for me to live my life as God commanded-to love God and love His people! To take every day, every opportunity, every moment and use it to teach, lead, empower, encourage. I'm going to being looking for doors of opportunity because then I'll have a doorpost to inscribe on! Stay tuned~

No comments:

Post a Comment